Gilman International (Benjamin A.) Scholarship
This scholarship provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are eligible for or currently receiving Federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Award amounts vary depending on the length of study and student need. The average award is approximately $4,000.
- U.S. citizen
- Undergraduate receiving a Federal Pell Grant
- Studying/interning abroad for at least 3 weeks in a single country
- Program eligible to earn credit at Penn State
- A completed online application form
- Unofficial transcript
- Two essays, one on the statement of (program) purpose (7,000 characters)and the other on community impact (6,000 characters; guidance here)
- Critical Need Language Award Essay (optional) for students who plan on studying a critical need language during their program
- Certifications of application by both study abroad and financial aid advisors
Application Deadline for Spring 2020 & Early Deadline for Summer 2020* - October 1, 2019
Application Deadline for Summer 2020*, Fall 2020 & Academic Year 2020-2021 - March 3, 2020
*Applicants seeking funding for the summer can apply in both application cycles and have two chances at receiving funding.
Applications must be submitted directly using the online application system. However, applicants are encouraged to first work with the Study Abroad office to identify an appropriate program and then work with our office to prepare a competitive application.