Truman (Harry S.) Scholarship
The mission of the Truman Scholarship Foundation is to find and recognize college juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service. The foundation will provide them with financial support for graduate study, leadership training, and connect them with other students who are committed to making a difference through public service. You can learn more about Truman's mission by watching their 40th Anniversary video here, and you can an idea of the diverse set of careers former Truman Scholars go on to have via the Scholar Profile videos here.
Pre-Application Deadline: December 11, 2017 Applicants must complete the pre-application in order to request access to the application system. To do so, please email the office at email@example.com. You may request access as early as you know you intend to apply.
Office Application Deadline: January 16, 2018
- U.S. citizen or U.S. National from the Pacific Islands
- College junior with a GPA of 3.7 or above
- Plan to attend professional or graduate school to prepare for career as a change agent in government or the nonprofit and advocacy sectors
- Must commit to spending 3 of the first 7 years after graduate/professional school working in public service
Application Process: The university is required to do an internal review and nomination process so there is an internal deadline detailed above. Our nominee(s) will have a chance to revise their materials, if necessary, prior to final submission by the external deadline. To be considered for nomination applicants must submit the following materials: Submitted via Truman's application portal:
Submitted directly to our office via email or hardcopy (firstname.lastname@example.org or 321 Boucke Bldg.):
- Unofficial transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (guidance here)
- Letters should come directly from your references and can be emailed so long as they are on letterhead and have a signature
Please review Truman's website for advice and guidance on the various components of the application.